Choose Ohio FirstJump to related links
The Choose Ohio First (COF) Scholarship Program is a state-funded program aimed at providing scholarships for students in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) programs. Scholarship awards may range from $1,500 to $4,000 per student, per academic year. The actual amount awarded is based on financial need. Scholarships may be awarded even if a student is already receiving scholarship support from other programs. The Choose Ohio First Scholarship is renewable, contingent on continued eligibility and state funding.
Learn more about the Choose Ohio First Grants.
Students who wish to renew their awards in subsequent years will be selected based on their continued academic progress, determined by a minimum GPA, and earned credit hours per semester, as well as students must maintain enrollment in the approved STEM program. Mercy College provides a matching grant for the Choose Ohio grant recipients. Actual funds from the State of Ohio are received and posted to your tuition bill after the semester is over.
Who can apply?
- New first-time or new transfer student
- Resident of Ohio
- Have a current FAFSA on file (www.studentaid.gov/fafsa) to determine financial need
- Not already receiving a full tuition scholarship (for example, need-based grants that cover full tuition)
- Accepted into one of the approved STEM programs at Mercy College
Eligible STEM Programs at Mercy College of Ohio
- Community Health Worker Certificate
- Paramedic Certificate
- Polysomnographic Technology Certificate
- Health Information Technology Associate Degree
- Radiologic Technology Associate Degree
- Surgical Technology Associate Degree
Mercy College General COF Program Requirements
- Maintain enrollment in the STEM program
- Maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher
- Meet with academic advisor on a regular basis
- Renew FAFSA each academic year
- Males – registered with selective service as required by the State of Ohio
- Based on available COF funding per academic year
For more information on this program from the Ohio Department of Higher Education click here.
COF scholarship application deadlines:
- Spring 2024: Deadline December 18, 2023
- Summer 2024: Deadline April 8, 2024
- Fall 2024: Deadline August 1, 2024