Transfer Credit

Jump to related links

Transfer of credit may be awarded for courses completed at other post-secondary institutions accredited by one of the regional accrediting organizations recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.

Coursework awarded from a post-secondary institution not accredited by one of the regional accrediting organizations recognized by the U.S. Department of Education will be considered on an individual basis through course-to-course validation.

Courses must be completed with a “C” (2.0) or better, according to the Mercy College grading scale. Mercy College does not accept transfer credit for developmental coursework.

Transfer courses must match or exceed the semester credit-hour requirement for the College’s courses and must have equivalent content of at least 75% based on the catalog, course description, and/or syllabi for the specific term during which the student completed the course. Some courses for specific programs must be taken within a specified time limit.

Transferability of the College’s credits to other colleges/universities is not guaranteed and is solely a function of the receiving institution’s policies and discretion.

Please view the full transfer credit policy below for more specific information regarding transfer credit guidelines.

For information on Advanced Placement, CLEP, or DSSTS visit the Credit by Examination page.

  • Document .pdfTransfer Credit Policy

    The purpose of this policy is to ensure transfer credit is entered appropriately and properly into the student information system.

Transferology Logo Primary

Transferology is the first stop for any student who is looking to transfer to Mercy College of Ohio. Students can request information on a specific course's transferability by utilizing Transferology. Students can enter their previous and current course work into a free user account to then see which courses at Mercy College they have earned credit. Begin by reviewing the directions and selecting the Transferology link below.

Transferology helps students explore college transfer options.

Start Here
  • Document .pdfTransferology Directions

    A step-by-step guide to using Transferology for students who are looking to transfer to Mercy College of Ohio.


Remember if a course is not in Transferology this does not mean it does not transfer. It means we just need to review it for transfer equivalency. This extra step ensures that the student gets the best evaluation for the transfer work.

Credit for Military Service and Training

Military experience and training credits will be considered for individuals with experience in the armed forces of the United States, or in the National Guard, or in a reserve component. Students must provide a copy of their DD214, a Joint Services transcript or Air Force/CCAF transcript from to the Student Records Office. Program faculty will review the individual’s official military transcripts and occupational experiences to determine whether any of the military education or occupational experiences are substantially equivalent to the curriculum as established in Chapter 4723-5 of the Ohio Administrative Code; and award credit to the individual for any substantially equivalent military education or occupational experiences. The individual must initiate the request for transfer through the Office of Student Records for any course not previously reviewed for transfer.

Post Enrollment Transfer of Credit

After a student has initially enrolled, the College may permit the transfer of up to either six credit hours of credit or up to two courses which can exceed six credit hours of credit. To qualify for post-enrollment of transfer credit students are subject to the following guidelines:

  • Students must meet the minimum graduation residency requirements of the College (30 credit hours for an Associate degree and 36 credit hours for a Bachelor’s degree).
  • Students must be in good academic standing (maintaining an overall grade point average of 2.0 or better).
  • Students must acquire the approval of the program director/lead. - Form 516-B Post-Enrollment Transfer Credit must be completed prior to enrolling in a course(s) at another institution. Credits may not be accepted if the form has not been completed and submitted to the Office of Student Records prior to enrolling at another institution.
  • Students must achieve a grade of “C” or better for the course to be accepted will be accepted for transfer.

Transfer of Credit Appeal Process

If the student disagrees with the awarding of transfer credit and wishes to appeal the award, he/she must submit an appeal in writing to the Office of Student Records within two weeks of receipt of the degree audit.

1. The appeal will then be forwarded to the appropriate division dean.
2. Upon receipt of the appeal, research will be conducted by the appropriate division dean to further assess the transfer credit validity.
3. The Division Dean will send official notification of the final decision to the student and the Office of Student Records.