February 10, 2020
What's Happening in Student Affairs
February 2020 Updates
- Spring Break Service Immersion Trip is scheduled for Saturday, March 7th – Tues. March 11th. Students will be traveling to Chicago. If you know of a student or students that may be interested, please have them contact Annie Devine, the Director of Campus Ministry and Service Learning. (419-251-1866 or firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Maxient - confidential record-keeping/sharing software – implementation date is February 2017. Some of the departments/offices to use the software will be Student Conduct, CARE Team, Retention, Accessibility Services, and Academic Integrity.
- Mercy College Food Pantry – please access the link to see how you can contribute to the pantry and continue to serve our students in need (https://mercycollege.edu/student-affairs/mercy-college-food-pantry).
- New College Hours – As announced in December, the college will be closed from 12AM – 5AM with no card/ID access during that time. Mercy Protective Services staff will continue to be on campus 7 days a week from 7AM – 7PM.
- Community Prayer Service schedule for the spring 2020 semester is posted around campus and on the TV monitors. All services are held in the Chapel (1st floor Madison) and begin @ 12:15PM.
- In recognition and celebration of Black History Month passive programming will be displayed on the TV monitors around campus. Each week a figure having a significant impact on history will be showcased.
- In collaboration with the University of Toledo’s, Division of Student Affairs, Mercy College students, faculty, and staff are being provided the opportunity to participate in some exciting and informative events throughout the month of February to celebrate and recognize Black History Month. Please check your Mercy College e-mail and the TV monitors around campus for details.
- Community Update page for February 2020 –This is a monthly update for ways in which students, faculty, & staff can be active in the community.
- Week of Wellness will be from Sunday, February 16th – Friday, February 21st . Events for students, faculty, and staff, addressing holistic wellness, are planned for the week. Please see the TV monitors around campus for details.
- Marc Adkins, Dr. Trevor Bates, and Dr. Kim Watson will be presenting at the Ohio Inspiring Practices Conference hosted by Capital University, in Columbus, Ohio, on February 26th. Their presentation titled “Student Success: Collaborations between Academic Affairs and Student Affairs,” details these collaborations at Mercy College of Ohio.
- Application period for the 2020-2021 Hoffman Ambassadors and Leaders Scholars Programs is March 1st -31st. If you know of any students that may be interested, please have them contact Deanna Vatan, Assistant Dean of Student Life (419-251-2133 or email@example.com) OR Annie Devine, Director of Campus Ministry and Service Learning (419-251-1866 or firstname.lastname@example.org).
If you have questions or comments regarding the information presented, or with the Division of Student Affairs, please do not hesitate to contact Marc Adkins, Vice President of Student Affairs and Dean of Students. Thank you!
Marc Adkins , MEd, BS : Vice President of Student Affairs & Dean of Students
- phone icon 419-251-1512
- mail icon email@example.com
- location icon M5807
Mercy Café Menu
Submitted by Steve Joyce
Mercy Café Menu
Student Survey Opens Today
Submitted by Mary Bergs
YOUR encouragement to students to take the survey is needed for a high response rate.
Remind students to look for an email from “Dr. Susan Wajert, President, Mercy College of Ohio.” They will most likely receive the email sometime before noon.
Encourage them to open the email, click the link, and thoughtfully take the survey. Student responses to the survey are important for all facets of the College.
• The College has made changes based on responses from past surveys.
• Incentives: EACH student who completes the survey will get a $5 Amazon gift card - emailed to students the week after the survey closes. Each student will also be entered in a drawing for a $500 gift card. The drawing will be from an email list that does not include survey results.
Check the attachment to the February 3 Faculty/Staff email for more details.
Self-Defense Classes Offered During the Week of Wellness
Submitted by Lisa Sancrant
Advance your physical and emotional wellness with a Self-Defense class!
USA Martial Arts of Toledo, located at 6837 Angola Rd. Holland, OH 43528, is offering two different Self-Defense class options for Mercy College students, faculty, and staff:
Sunday, February 16, 2020, 2-4 p.m.
Friday, February 21, 2020, 6-8 p.m.
The self-defense class will provide participants with an understanding of the legal and liability implications for different techniques, an insight into the mindsets and patterns of predators, as well as simple, practical, real-life methods for physical self-defense. No previous experience required, and all fitness levels can participate. Both men and women are welcome to attend.
The classes will be led by Officer John Roof, who has over 22 years of experience as a police officer and currently serves as the Assistant Chief of Police in Wauseon, OH. Officer Roof is certified through the Ohio Peace Officer Training Academy as a defensive tactics instructor and holds black belts in both Aikido and Tae Kwon Do.
To register for a class, please visit the Testing Center on Madison, 5th floor by Wednesday, February, 12. The cost for students is $5, Faculty and Staff $10, and $15 for guests.
Space is limited, so sign-up now!
Items Sent to Students via Inside Mercy College
Mercy Café Menu - see above
Self-Defense Classes Offered During the Week of Wellness - see above
Survey Opens Today
submitted by Mary Bergs
Check your Mercy College email TODAY for an invitation from “Dr. Susan Wajert, President, Mercy College of Ohio” to take either the “Student Satisfaction Inventory” or the “Priorities Survey for Online Learners.” Expect the email to arrive before the early afternoon.
Please: CLICK the link and RESPOND to the survey.
WHY should you take the survey?
*You have a chance to provide input to the College about your priorities and your satisfaction level with College features and services.
*YOUR responses are heard by the administration and program directors.
*Responses to past surveys have led to improvements at the College.
*You will earn a $5 Amazon gift card and entry into a drawing for a $500 Amazon gift card.
Week of Wellness - Toledo Campus Events
submitted by Deanna Vatan
Mark your calendars for the 2020 Week of Wellness! Join us for a few or all events as we focus on six core wellness dimensions: emotional, financial/occupational, intellectual, physical, social, and spiritual. A healthy you incorporates all dimensions of wellness!
All Week - Monday, February 17 through Friday, February 21
Healthy Food Fueling Station (Madison 5th floor) All Day
Labyrinth (St. Joseph Chapel, Madison 1st floor) All Day
Sunday, February 16
Self Defense Workshop* (USA Marshal Arts of Toledo) 2:00 to 4:00 p.m.
Cost: $5 students/$10 faculty & staff/$15 guest
Toledo Walleye Game* (Huntington Center) 5:15 p.m.
Cost: $5 students/$10 non-students
Monday, February 17
Random Acts of Kindness Day (Jefferson 3rd floor lobby) 10:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
Yoga Beginners Workshop** (Yogaja, 701 Madison Ave) 11:15 a.m. to 12:45 p.m.
Tuesday, February 18
Financial Fair (J3406) Refreshments provided from 11:30 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
Random Acts of Kindness Day (Jefferson 3rd floor lobby) 2:30 to 5:30 p.m.
Financial Fair (J3406) Refreshments provided 3:30 to 5:00 p.m.
Wednesday, February 19
Sleep Hacks (J3407) Refreshments provided 11:00 a.m.
Yoga Beginners Workshop** (Yogaja, 701 Madison Ave) 4:00 to 5:30 p.m.
Thursday, February 20
Overcoming Procrastination Now…Not Later! Noon to 1:00 p.m.
(J3411) Refreshments provided
Getting the Most Out of Your Textbook (M2630) 4:00 to 4:30 p.m.
Yoga Beginners Workshop** (Yogaja, 701 Madison Ave) 7:00 to 8:30 p.m.
Friday, February 21
Self Defense Workshop* (USA Marshal Arts of Toledo) 6:00 to 8:00 p.m.
Cost: $5 students/$10 faculty & staff/$15 guest
*Purchase tickets at the Testing Center, Madison 5th Floor
**Yogaja workshops are open to all students, staff, and faculty. Participation is FREE with your Mercy College ID!
For more information, contact Deanna Vatan at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Send a message to Dr. Wajert using this link.
Submit Your Article
The deadline to submit articles for Inside Mercy College and the Faculty & Staff Newsletter is Wednesday at 5pm.