September 22, 2020
Academic Affairs Update – September 22, 2020
My mother, Felicia Hurst, used to say, "when it comes to certain things son, there is no justice it is just us dealing with this non-sense." Entering my teen years it did not take long to gain an intimate understanding what she meant through conversations with Caucasian-American peers and adults regarding their life experiences in comparison to mine. Simply put, I learned that things are different and not always fair. In some cases it made sense but this was not the case when it came to conversations about Justice. As a community of learning, Mercy College has a moral, ethical, and mission driven mandate to "...educate and inspire..." while demonstrating the values we espouse. Today, our value of Justice is needed more than ever for so many of our fellow citizens, many of whom look a lot like me, my brothers, nephews, uncles, and sons.
1. New Faculty - Fall 2020
- Ms. Amber Kelly, Assistant Professor of Nursing
- Ms. Barbara Frankforther, Assistant Professor of Nursing
- Dr. Benjamin Parks, Assistant Professor of Medical Ethics and Religious Studies
- Ms. Jennifer Cruz, Assistant Professor of Physician Assistant Studies
- Ms. Julie Kish, Assistant Professor of Nursing
- Ms. Lisa McConnell, Assistant Professor of Nursing
- Ms. Melissa Korpick, Assistant Professor of Nursing
2. Ongoing Searches:
- Nursing Skills Lab Assistant, Physician Assistant Studies Clinical Coordinator, and Administrative Coordinator for Academic Affairs
3. Process / Document / Contract Review
- Undergraduate Catalog, Program Handbooks, and the Faculty and Staff Handbook are each available.
- Several contracts including CASper and Smart Catalog have recently been approved. Several other contracts, including Proctor U, remain under review.
4. Assessment & Accreditation
- Ohio Board of Nursing virtual site visit - October 28 - 29 to review the Bachelor of Science in Nursing Program.
- Master of Physician Studies Program (MPAS) team expects to receive a response from the ARC-PA in October regarding next steps for the program.
- Dr. Kim Watson and I have scheduled a Steering Committee kick-off meeting later this month to discuss preparing for future Higher Learning Commission (HLC) visits.
- 15-week calendar applications will be submitted concurrently to the Higher Learning Commission (HLC) and Ohio Department of Higher Education (ODHE).
5. Faculty Assembly
Committee officers have been named in early weeks of the Fall semester.
Led by Chairperson, Ms. Jamie Tooman, Faculty Assembly will continue working closely with the VPAA and Academic Council to continue to move the College forward.
6. Academic Administration Projects
- Associate of Science in Nursing - Toledo Day Program - Spring Start investigation
- Developing an Academic Strategic Action Plan (ASAP) to actively support the implementation and progress of the College’s Strategic Plan. The focal areas are:
- Faculty Development & Governance Supports
- Student Education Experience
- Administrative Efficiency and Program Revenue
- Quality Improvements and Assessments
- The Academic Program Review (APR) process has been expanded to include conversations with the Strategic Enrollment Committee (SEC) to address opportunities for growth.
Please direct questions to me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Dr. Trevor M. Bates
Alumni & Friends Weekend 2020
Submitted by Hannah Bohn
Alumni & Friends Weekend 2020 will take place on September 26-27. Please join us for the following virtual activities:
- Saturday, September 26, All Day: Virtual Mercy Mile – Wear your Mercy gear, walk a mile, snap a picture, and post on social media with the hashtag* #MercyMile or email to email@example.com.
- Sunday, September 27, 11 AM (EST): Virtual Mass – Join us for mass with St. John XXIII. Mass can be viewed online at www.stjohn23.org/watch-live or through the Saint John XXIII Facebook Page.
- Sunday, September 27, 1 PM (EST): Virtual Hangout (RSVP Required) – Connect with former students and friends through Zoom Video. Join us for fellowship, updates from Mercy College, and to learn about ways to get involved. Complete the form at the link below to let us know you would like to attend the virtual hangout so we can send you the Zoom information.
For more information and to RSVP, visit: Alumni Weekend Information.
* By including #MercyMile in your post, you understand and agree that the information provided and your image and/or video (if submitted) may be used by Mercy College of Ohio in Marketing and Communications materials, including, but not limited to print, digital, and social media.
Mercy Café Menu
Submitted by Steve Joyce
Mercy Café Menu
Submitted by Jeff Metzger
Several departments and committees are now using Microsoft Teams for collaboration and are enjoying the benefits that it offers. Teams features channels, files, and conversations to facilitate group work. A Team is ideal for a group whose members need a place to collaborate on documents, exchange files, or have chat conversations.
If you are interested in learning more about Teams, please consider joining a webinar or watching the training videos. More information is available on the Hub. And, as always, please feel free to contact me about Teams as well. I will be happy to help get you started.
Mercy Heritage Week Events
Submitted by Annie Devine
Mercy Heritage Week is a time for us to gather as a community and celebrate the spirit of Mercy that our College was founded in. We hope you'll join us virtually for a variety of events and activities this week! For Zoom links, please see the announcements in Campus Life on Canvas or email Annie Devine at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Tea on Tuesday: Tuesday, September 22, 2:00-2:30 p.m.
Join us with your favorite cup of tea or hot beverage of choice and watch the video of Catherine McAuley’s incredible life and how she founded the Sisters of Mercy.
Mercy Day Prayer Service: Thursday, September 24, 12:30-1:00 p.m.
We celebrate in prayer and reflection the day that Catherine McAuley founded the Sisters of Mercy.
Virtual Mercy Mile: Saturday, September 26, All Day
Wear your Mercy gear, walk a mile, and snap a picture.
Post on social media with #MercyMile or email to email@example.com
Alumni & Friends Mass: Sunday, September 27, 11:00 a.m.
Join us for a virtual mass with St. John XXIII parish.
RSVP at: Mercy Alumni Weekend
Mercy Heritage Week Photo Contest
Submitted by Annie Devine
A “comfortable cup of tea” has long been a tradition in our Mercy family.
Got a favorite teacup or hot beverage mug that you’d like to show off?
Take a selfie with your teacup, mug, or travel cup and submit it by Sunday, September 27. In addition to top prizes, all entries will be entered into a drawing for an Amazon gift card.
Submit your entry here: Mercy Heritage Week Photo Contest
Deadline: Sunday, September 27
Send a message to Dr. Wajert using this link.
Submit Your Article
The deadline to submit articles for Inside Mercy College and the Faculty & Staff Newsletter is Wednesday at 5pm.