June 22, 2021
Academic Affairs Update
- The PA program has successfully filed a progress report with ODHE. Dawn LaBarbara’s program is looking good as it enters its inaugural semester.
- The MHA program has filed its report with ODHE as well, which is the last progress report required. Congratulations to Dr. Watson for getting that done!
- We have approval from the Board to offer a new Surgical Technology program at the College, with hopes that the first class will start in Fall 2023. This program would be offered at the Associate degree level. Surg techs are greatly needed by BSMH, and this is a fine example of the College responding well and quickly to the needs of the Ministry. Thanks to Tim Depinet for shepherding us through the initial exploration process.
- Academic Council and Program Directors have reviewed some revisions and have the new framework for the Academic Strategic Action Plan in place. We will be introducing this to the faculty for input and revision beginning in August, with hopes to have a plan in place to guide us through a very productive 2021-22 academic year.
- Mercy College Nursing and MEDIC students participated in an interprofessional simulation to address the Opioid Crisis. Students learned from, and with each other, to demonstrate best practice when caring for a patient experiencing an opioid overdose. They discussed how the skills, attitudes and behavior of healthcare professionals can impact patient outcomes. Students became aware of their own ethics and values to ensure patients are supported in a compassionate method that values human dignity. We collaborated with the Lucas County Health Department and DART to address the scope of the problem and stigma attached.
Empower Upgrade and Downtime July 9-12
Submitted by Jeff Metzger
Empower will be unavailable from 8:00 p.m. on Friday, July 9 until 7:00 a.m. on Monday, July 12. Both the thick client and the Empower Me website will be unavailable during that time, so please plan accordingly. No faculty, staff, or students will have access to Empower during that time.
Empower is migrating from their on-premises data center to the Oracle Cloud which will provide customers with increased security, reliability, performance, and support. In preparation for the migration, College IT will be creating new desktop shortcuts for the new Empower client connection. The new shortcut will temporarily be named "Empower Anywhere NEW" but please do not use it until after the migration is complete. After migration, College IT will remove the old connection. Other items impacted by the change are the FileZilla connection and the ODBC connection for reporting. College IT will work with you to update those connections when the migration is complete.
Mercy Café Menu
Submitted by Steve Joyce
Mercy Café Menu
Send a message to Dr. Wajert using this link.
Submit Your Article
The deadline to submit articles for Inside Mercy College and the Faculty & Staff Newsletter is Wednesday at 5pm.