February 25, 2019
Student Affairs Update
New to the Division
- Angie Woodel - Began her role as the Student Affairs Coordinator in late October.
- Shelly Clark - Began her role as the Testing Assistant in mid-December.
- Christine Parks - Began her role as an Academic Advisor in November.
- Nursing Tutor search - two candidates for on-campus interviews week of February 18
- Director of Campus Ministry & Service Learning search - 3 candidates for on-campus interviews week of February 18
- Director of Diversity & Inclusion - 2 candidates for on-campus interviews. Dates to be announced!
- The DASH Emergency Grant – To date, assisted 125 students with over $127,000 in funds. Leaders Scholar Program - moving along with 3 students (Anna Davis, Marvella Foster, & Zoe Gwozdz).
- Maxient - confidential record-keeping/sharing software and Titanium - mental health counseling software, will be purchased.
- Hoffman Ambassadors - coordinated on an interim basis by Deanna Vatan, are meeting monthly and active in their community service.
- Smarthinking - 24/7 online tutoring software, is now available for all Mercy College undergraduate and graduate students.
- The Student Engagement suite - located on the 2nd floor Madison, has been refurnished and refreshed.
- The 1st floor Madison lobby - near the Student Success Center, has been refreshed with new furniture.
- Healthy Relationships Workshop - Monday, February 25 from 12:30-1:30 p.m. in J3407 and Thursday, February 28 from 4:30-5:30 p.m. in J3111, FOOD will be provided! For additional information please contact Suzanne Hall.
- The 2015-2017 Biennial Review for Alcohol & Drug training, here at the college, is complete. Plans for completion on the 2017-2019 review are for July 2019. For additional information please contact Marc Adkins.
- Student Government Association (SGA) Town Hall is scheduled for Monday, April 15 at 12:45 p.m. in J3302. For additional information please contact Deanna Vatan.
- The Recognition of Excellence is scheduled for Friday, April 26 at the Toledo Zoo - Deadline to nominate a student, and/or faculty, and/or staff is March 15. Nominations can be found on the college website.For additional information please contact Deanna Vatan or Dr. Trevor Bates.
- The Youngstown location has scheduled their SOAR dates for the spring and summer: All dates are Fridays: April 12, June 14, and July 19.
- The 3rd Annual Alumni Weekend Walk is scheduled for Saturday, September 21. More details to follow!
- The American Heart Association Heart Walk is scheduled for Saturday, May 18 at the Huntington Center - Mercy College will have a team! For additional information please contact Deanna Vatan.
- The division will have a graduate intern for the 2019-2020 academic year. The intern will be a graduate student enrolled in the College Student Personnel program at Bowling Green State University. Interviews are in-progress. For additional information, please contact Marc Adkins.
- The 3rd Annual Student Leader Retreat is scheduled for Friday, August 23 at The Pines in Fremont. For additional information please contact Deanna Vatan.
- Mary Ach and Melanie Vincent will be attending the Emerging Leaders’ Summit, presented by the Ohio Diversity Council, Saturday, February 23rd in Columbus, Ohio.
- Lisa Sancrant, Deanna Vatan, and Kristen Porter will be attending the John Gardner Institute on Student Success, presented by the Association of Independent Colleges and Universities of Ohio, Wednesday, February 27 in Columbus, Ohio.
Mercy Café Menu
Submitted by Steve Joyce
Mercy Café Menu (PDF)
Recognition of Excellence - Call for Nominations
Submitted by Deanna Vatan
The Recognition of Excellence provides an opportunity for the Mercy College community to recognize the successes and outstanding work of our students, staff, and faculty. Following are details for this year’s event:
Recognition of Excellence
Friday, April 26, 2019
3:30 to 6:00 p.m.
Toledo Zoo and Aquarium – Malawi Event Center
The nomination process is now open and will close at 5 p.m. on Friday, March 15.
For information about the event, the nomination forms, and a full description of each award, please visit: www.mercycollege.edu/recognition.
All Mercy College students, staff, and faculty are invited to attend. Due to limited space, and in an effort to best plan for the event, RSVPs are required and the form is now available. To RSVP by the Friday, April 12 deadline, please visit: https://mercycollege.edu/forms/recognition-of-excellence
Please note: for those attending from our Youngstown campus, bus transportation will be provided to and from campus the day of the event. Please be sure to indicate participation in this when you RSVP.
For questions about the event or nomination process, please contact Deanna Vatan, Director of Student Life, 419-251-2133 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Summer and Fall 2019 Textbook Adoption Due March 8, 2019
Submitted by Beverly Miller
The Higher Education Opportunity Act (HEOA) Textbook Provision compliance-monitoring deadline for Summer and Fall 2019 semesters is Friday, March 8, 2019.
A faculty textbook adoption form must be submitted for every course by this deadline. If you plan to forgo any textbooks for a course, you must complete the form and indicate that no textbook is required by clicking the “Submit with No Books Required” button.
The link to the adoption form is included below.
Username is: mercyoh
Password is: mercyoh
Please contact your division’s Administrative Specialist for assistance and our Matthews Books representative, Ashley White at email@example.com with any textbook questions and concerns.
Thank you in advance for your cooperation as we comply with the HEOA.
Items Sent to Students via Inside Mercy College
Mercy Cafe Menu - see above
Recognition of Excellence - Call for Nominations - see above
Final Scholarship Deadline Reminder
submitted by Julie Leslie
This is the final week to submit your Mercy College scholarship application.
Deadline: Thursday, February 28, 2019
Apply now: www.mercycollege.edu/scholarships
submitted by Kristen Porter
Date: Thursday, February 28, 2019
Time: 11:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Location: Jefferson 3rd Floor Elevator Lobby
Stop by any time! Help make a blanket for a child who is critically ill or entering the foster care system right here in Lucas County. NO EXPERIENCE NECESSARY!
Even if you only have a few minutes between classes you can help us reach our goal. Questions? Contact Kristen Porter, 419-251-1339 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Send a message to Dr. Wajert using this link.
Submit Your Article
The deadline to submit articles for Inside Mercy College and the Faculty & Staff Newsletter is Wednesday at 5pm.