April 15, 2019
Academic Affairs Updates - April 2019
Dear Mercy College Community,
Please review the following updates from Academic Affairs. This information is not meant to be an exhaustive list of projects, if you have any questions about the information provided, please let me know.
1. Deborah Johnson will be retiring in July and a search for a Library Director will begin soon. Please join me in thanking Deb for over 10 years of excellent service at Mercy College!
2. Higher Learning Commission Annual Meeting (April 5 – 9, 2019)
Over the weekend a team of seven from the College attended the HLC Annual Meeting: Marc Adkins, Trevor Bates, Leslie Erwin, Lori Edgeworth, Beverly Miller, Susan Wajert, and Kimberly Watson.
- Dr. Wajert led a special interest group conversation on College Mergers
- Dr. Bates led a special interest group conversation on Shared Governance
- Dr. Bates, Dr. Watson, and Mr. Adkins presented: Student Success: Collaborations between Academic Affairs and Students Affairs
4. Inclement weather policy and procedure – under review to more clearly outline delay messaging. Hopefully, we will not use the policy again in 2019.
5. Academic Affairs will lead a needs assessment for assessment/institutional effectiveness/institutional research software/technology
- Over the summer, Dr. Bates will begin reaching out to different areas of the campus to learn about needs and current internal assessment processes
- A goal is to broadly improve communication of and access to data that can be used to inform decision making at the College
6. Learning Commons space on the 6th floor of Jefferson (not including a Library)
- Funding sources being investigated and secured
- Staff physical moves will be made to support the faculty and students in the Learning Commons
- Clean-up process has begun
7. Exploration of a Mercy Experience course/requirement in the initial discussion phase
- Academic Affairs and Student Affairs will begin a discussion in Summer 2019, updates to follow. Broader conversations will begin Fall of 2019.
8. Shared Governance: Faculty Forums are being held by VPAA to offer faculty an opportunity to discuss academic policy and procedure updates
9. HLC Annual Update submitted, this is an annual requirement that provides required data about the College to HLC.
10. Submitting documentation to HLC and ODHE regarding the following new academic programs
- A new Master of Science in Nursing Leadership
- Two new post master’s certificates in Nursing Leadership and Nursing Education
11. Investigating collaborative academic pathways between academic divisions, for example, Biology pathways to Health Science and Nursing programs
12. Encouraging Toledo and Youngstown faculty and staff to please consider attending the 2019 Recognition of Excellence ceremony on April 26 to support our community.
- Transportation will be provided for Youngstown faculty, staff, and students
Thanking God for many Blessings,
Mercy Café Menu
Submitted by Steve Joyce
Mercy Café Menu
Mercy Café will be closed on April 19 for Good Friday.
Silvique Sterling Silver Jewelry Sale
Submitted by Denise Hudgin
The Mercy College Auxiliary will host a jewelry sale on Monday, April 22 from 8:30 a.m. – 4 p.m. in the Jefferson lobby. Everything is 50% off retail! There will be items for men, women, and children. Great Mother’s Day gifts! Proceeds to benefit Mercy College of Ohio student scholarships.
Items Sent to Students via Inside Mercy College
Mercy Café Menu - see above
Silvique Sterling Silver Jewelry Sale - see above
submitted by Kristen Porter
Need to update your resume? Don't have a resume, but need one?
Come to a resume workshop!
Wednesday, April 17, 2019, 10:00 a.m. - Noon
Thursday, April 18, 2019, 4:00-6:00 p.m.
There will be a short overview at the beginning of the workshop followed by individual questions and support. You don't need to attend the entire time. Come for 15 minutes to get some feedback or have your questions answered.
Questions? Contact Kristen Porter at 419-251-1339 or email@example.com.
Mercy Health St. Vincent Medical Center and Mercy Children's Hospital Nurse Extern Hiring Event
submitted by Kristen Porter
Meet Managers from Mercy Health St. Vincent Medical Center & Mercy Children's Hospital!
When: Tuesday, April 23, 9:00 am - Noon and 2:00-5:00 p.m.
Where: Mercy College J3302 and 3rd floor Lobby area
Who: Mercy College Students ONLY!
Bring multiple copies of your resume and be ready to interview!
*Job offers will be given the day of the event.*
Must be CPR certified and have completed one clinical nursing course & one clinical rotation/experience
Apply before the event at mercycollege.edu/extern.
For more information or to RSVP, contact University Relations Specialist, Emily Hall at firstname.lastname@example.org or 419-250-4068.
Need resume help? Contact Kristen Porter at email@example.com or 419-251-1339.
submitted by Suzanne Hall
Take some time to relax before final exams by taking part in Counseling and Wellness Services "Ahhh Day." Massage therapists will be available on Monday, April 29, 2019 from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. offering FREE 15-minute massage therapy sessions. The event will be held in Madison 5619. Sign up here: https://bit.ly/2FwB55j
Walk-ins are welcome on a first-come-first-serve basis but not guaranteed. Reservations recommended. For more information, contact Suzanne Hall at firstname.lastname@example.org or 419-251-1454.
Turn Your Used Textbooks Into Cash
submitted by Beverly Miller
Mercy College and Matthews Medical Books have partnered to offer students the opportunity to sell their used textbooks on the Toledo campus and online. Matthews Medical Books will be on the Toledo Campus to buy your used textbooks on:
Wednesday, May 1, 2019
10 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.
Jefferson Building 3rd floor lobby (across from the elevators)
The ONLINE BUYBACK EVENT will begin April 29 and run through May 17, 2018. Go to: www.mercyohbooks.com
Send a message to Dr. Wajert using this link.
Submit Your Article
The deadline to submit articles for Inside Mercy College and the Faculty & Staff Newsletter is Wednesday at 5pm.